About the Program
Healthy Steps Together is a 12-week comprehensive and innovative weight management program developed by Pullman Regional Hospital. The program offers a unique combination of expert information and evidence-based coaching that incorporates the power of positive psychology with inspirational and expert guest speakers. Together in a group setting, participants explore the truth about successful weight loss and maintenance, meal planning, mindful eating, goal setting, physical activity and much, much more!
After completing the course, participants have the option to join a monthly support group to help maintain their weight and continue practicing powerful positive psychology techniques.
Register for the next session of Healthy Steps Together!
- Session dates: February 6th - April 16th
- Every Thursday from 4:30 - 6:00 pm
- Registration deadline: January 31st
- $200 includes 11 weeks of group classes and 2 individual nutrition counseling sessions
- Call (509) 336-7543 to register
- Scholarships available
- 18 years or older and wanting to lose weight and be healthier?
- On a tight budget and wanting to learn how to prepare healthy meals?
- Looking to leave dieting behind and find what will work for you in the long-run?
- Looking for support from a group of individuals facing similar challenges?
- Ready to take steps together toward healthier eating habits and a more active lifestyle?
- Exploring the truth about weight loss and maintenance
- How to craft a wellness vision, three-month and weekly goals
- Creating a healthy food environment to mindlessly eat better
- Mindful eating
- Identifying feelings and meeting needs without food
- Gentle Nutrition
- Meal planning an healthy snacking
- Portion control and label reading
- Healthy eating on the go
- How to maintain positive changes and weight loss long-term
- Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- Setting up a Walking Program
- Choosing Good Walking Shoes
- Goal Setting
- Working Through Challenges to Achieve Goals and Keep Motivation
- Resistance Exercise
- Yoga & Zumba
- Activity and Food Trackers
- Medications and Supplements
Proven Results from Healthy Steps Together
- Average waist circumference decrease: 1.9 inches - Research indicates that even in the absence of weight change, a 1.9 inch reduction in waist circumference significantly reduces the risk for chronic disease including diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight loss: up to 23 pounds in 12 weeks
- Quality of Life Score: Doubled in all areas including self-image and self-efficacy, which is the belief in one's ability to make and maintain positive changes. The Quality of Life assessment tool is a validated instrument used to assess quality of life related to nutrition. It is even more important than weight loss in predicting long-term healthy eating behaviors and food choices. Participants complete it before and after the course.
Innovative approach through positive psychology
The Healthy Steps Together approach is to create an intentional community to help bring out people’s best selves. This is achieved through positive psychology techniques that empower people to succeed in becoming healthy. Through group discussion, games, role playing and buddy coaching opportunities, the program empowers participants to create their own personal wellness vision and provides them guidance to get there. By aligning their daily choices and smaller goals with their visions, participants find it easier to stay motivated and get back on track when minor setbacks arise.
The program leader, Melissa Francik, is has completed and been awarded the Wellcoaches National Coaching Certification in addition to being a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
Program Reviews & Comments
- It is a team approach with a wide variety of instructors
- Melissa has a coaching specialty in addition to a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist credential
- There are follow up opportunities for participation with the support group
- There are opportunities for scholarships that allow a variety of participants
- There is a wide demographic of people allowing for good interaction
- For me it gave information in a different way that was more meaningful to remember and apply to daily living and nutritional choices.
- I like Healthy Steps because it is holistic. The program brings together many ideas and theories that I have read about in the past and has helped me make connections.
- This 12 week course has been one of the most enjoyable and informative health classes I have ever taken. Melissa Francik has created a course that is exciting, nonjudgmental, and geared towards losing weight while making food fun to eat. She skillfully shows her students how to change the all too familiar guilt induced way of eating into a pleasurable way of approaching food by making small changes, learning how to read confusing food labels, and practicing the art of self-care. She has shown me that eating food should not be a shame based experience but rather a fun and inventive occasion. Her class is interactive, hosting a variety of excellent guest speakers that included a pharmacist’s, yoga instructor, walking coach, physical therapist, and many, many more.
- Great class. Outstanding teacher. Critical information. Applicable for anyone and everyone. A bargain at twice the price. Totally rocked my boat!